Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Philly MQG Modern Log Cabin Challenge

The Philly MQG had a modern log cabin challenge last year as one of our monthly activities.  I decided to use some improv and assymetry in my log cabin entry.  I took some scraps of green fabric that I had lying around and spiced them into some solid gray fabric.  I then cut strips of various widths from the solid gray fabric.  I also cut a few strips of a green Quilters Linen fabric to use in the quilt.  I started the log cabin with a piece of the green Quilters Linen fabric and then worked my way around and around, starting with the narrowest strips of gray and finishing with the widest.

I thought that the quilt had a bit of a swirling motion to it, so I used concentric circles emanating from the starting block for the quilting.  I had some of this amazing Kaffe Fassett Jupiter print in green, which I used for the binding.

It was pretty fun and quick to make and I think it turned out pretty well.  It's about 36" square.  I plan to use it for a wall hanging somewhere - maybe in my quilting room.



2 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! Improv is so much fun. I just discovered you on Blue Nickel Studios blog. I enjoyed reading about your start to quilting. You must be fluent in Japanese? I have a dear Japanese friend and love what she's shared with me about the culture of Japan. Looking forward to "following" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked over from Molli's blog and I'm so glad I did! Your quilts make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete