The Philly MQG had a modern log cabin challenge last year as one of our monthly activities. I decided to use some improv and assymetry in my log cabin entry. I took some scraps of green fabric that I had lying around and spiced them into some solid gray fabric. I then cut strips of various widths from the solid gray fabric. I also cut a few strips of a green Quilters Linen fabric to use in the quilt. I started the log cabin with a piece of the green Quilters Linen fabric and then worked my way around and around, starting with the narrowest strips of gray and finishing with the widest.
I thought that the quilt had a bit of a swirling motion to it, so I used concentric circles emanating from the starting block for the quilting. I had some of this amazing Kaffe Fassett Jupiter print in green, which I used for the binding.
It was pretty fun and quick to make and I think it turned out pretty well. It's about 36" square. I plan to use it for a wall hanging somewhere - maybe in my quilting room.